Aug 31, 2014

Weekend Ramblings: Houston: So Far, So Good

Wow... I can't believe it's been nearly a month since my last post. As it would turn out, having a full-time job can be something of a time drain. But that's beside the point. I'm actually loving my new job and my new city.

Houston, as luck would have it for someone as food-obsessed as me, is a restaurant mecca. Never in my life have I been able to drive five minutes from my house and have the option to dine Chinese, Bosnian or Mexican if I want. It's crazy and wonderful (though not conducive to a healthy diet if you were wondering).

Check me out in my new pink chair.

As far as the people in general go, I've been surprised by everyone's kindness. Though Houston is located in the south, I was a little worried that maybe the big city mentality would be rude, crude, etc. Not at all! Everyone I've met (for the most part) has been really pleasant. That's just the naive Kentucky girl in me learning that, hey, people in big cities are really nice too.

As for other learning experiences, I'm learning how to budget, cook and pay bills. The bills part isn't so great, but being in control of your own finances is empowering. I'm currently in a contest with myself to see how much money I can save this year. It's not been easy (eating all of the foreign cuisine isn't free), but I'm discovering my inner frugality little by little.

Please stay tuned for more blog posts. Though I'm a little busier these days, I'll do my best to keep you all updated on my life and discoveries as a young professional.  Who knows... this may just turn into a lifestyle blog!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Every comment is greatly appreciated. However, I prefer no "follow for follow" comments. If you want me to check out your blog, leave a link and I will visit it! Thanks for reading:)