Nov 20, 2013

Wednesday Roundup

Sorry, you all.  I know it's been a couple of weeks since I've had the chance to do a Wednesday Roundup.  It's actually one of my favorite segments on this here blog but, unfortunately, I just haven't had the time to do one as of late.  However, now that I've found a couple hours to spare, I want to tell you what I consider to be some of this week's best discoveries.  Enjoy!

The Toronto Mayor
For those of you who don't follow social media or watch much television, Rob Ford, Mayor of Toronto, has become a bit of a running joke in the media.  Not only did he admit to smoking crack, but he admitted to doing it while in a "drunken stupor."  I'm not much for political or social commentary, but this guy is just too funny not to talk about.  Check out this nice little BuzzFeed compilation of Rob Ford, "The World's Greatest Mayor" (and ignore some of the dirty language, please).

*Photo via huffingtonpost.ca


Vaseline Original Petroleum Jelly
This once highly respected beauty cure-all has been catching a lot of bad press as of late. Sure, it may not be sustainably produced like many more "natural" salves or balms, but sensitive skin like mine can really find refuge in this non-irritating product during the cold winter months.
*Photo via unilever.com

One thing you should know before using petroleum jelly is that it is an occlusive agent, meaning it does not actually moisturize, but rather it traps in moisture. Vaseline is best used on damp skin or over another balm or oil. I've been using it as an eye cream at night.  I simply apply it to my damp under eye area after getting out of the shower and it seals in some of the moisture from the water. Also, a few swipes on dry cheeks before stepping out into the cold can prevent windburn. For those of you that really hate the idea of using a petroleum-based product, I've been told that Waxelene is a good alternative (though I've not actually tried it myself).

Celebrities Without Makeup
No, I'm not trying celeb-shame by advising you to check them out without their makeup on, but I AM, however, trying to remind you that even seemingly flawless celebrities need concealer.  Check out this post on Daily News for a welcomed reality check.

*Photo via nydailynews.com
Alrighty, folks...that's all I've got for today.  Have the happiest of Wednesdays!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Every comment is greatly appreciated. However, I prefer no "follow for follow" comments. If you want me to check out your blog, leave a link and I will visit it! Thanks for reading:)