Nov 7, 2013

Etsy Finds: Charcoal Detox Mask + Spot Fix by The October Union

You all may remember the interview I did with The October Union's Kimie Rosenthal just a couple weeks ago.  In that interview, I mentioned ordering some of her products and I'm here to give you the 4-1-1 on Kimie's Charcoal Detox Mask + Spot Fix.


Charcoal, for most people, conjures images of summer barbecues rather than skincare, but I assure you that the stuff used to grill your burgers is not the same as what The October Union is using in their face masks. So stop thinking Kingsford and start thinking elegant cosmetic charcoal.

Charcoal is actually a highly prized skincare ingredient, admired for its purifying properties. Currently, Kimie uses willow bark charcoal in the Charcoal Detox Mask + Spot Fix, but she will soon be switching to coconut shell or bamboo charcoal, depending upon which is more sustainably harvested.  Could this brand get any better?

But back to the mask... We all know my skin is super picky, so I asked Kimie to remove the cayenne pepper and cinnamon and a few other ingredients.  While I actually do like cinnamon in some occasional facial applications (see this previous post), I figured it might prove to be more than my skin could handle in combination with the charcoal.  Perhaps I'll brave it for my next jar, though, and leave every ingredient in, especially since I've had such great results with this mask.

Pretty products on a dirty window sill... Sorry about that!
What I love about this mask, specifically, is its use of charcoal and himalayan pink salt to deeply cleanse.  I swear my face takes a breath of fresh air after I've removed it. Not to mention, a little goes a long way.  You can mix a teensy bit of this mask, which comes in powder form, with the liquid of your choice (I like chamomile tea, manuka honey or Wildroot Botanicals Rose Geranium Hydrosol) and it will cover your whole face.


At $10 per 2 ounce jar, the Charcoal Detox Mask + Spot Fix is a great product at an equally great value.  I highly recommend that you purchase it, and you can do so here or here.

Kimie also sent over two samples, one of her Love + Kindness Balm and the other of her Pomegranate + Cocoa Tinted Lip Salve.  Both of these products were amazing as well, but I'm especially in love with the Tinted Lip Salve.  It's got the perfect hint of color and moisturizes so well, which is definitely something I need on these cold fall days we've been having as of late.  You can buy these two products here or here.


Tell me everyone: have you tried The October Union's products?  What do you think?

2 comments:

  1. That looks like a super interesting product. Does it dry when you put in on your face? Or do you just rub it and and wash it off like an exfoliator?

    gingercatqueen.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's awesome! I suppose you could use it as an exfoliator, but I like to leave it on and let it dry for about 15 minutes as a mask. However, if you use manuka honey with it, it won't fully dry but it will be just as effective. Thanks for reading:)

      Delete

Every comment is greatly appreciated. However, I prefer no "follow for follow" comments. If you want me to check out your blog, leave a link and I will visit it! Thanks for reading:)