Jan 22, 2014

Wednesday Roundup: So, It's Pretty Cold Out...

If I've learned two things so far this winter, they are: 1) don't start out the coldest part of the year with a trip to Mexico... it's all down hill from there and 2) invest in a humidifier and some moisturizing oils and creams as soon as the thermostat drops below 50℉. Right now, humidifying my air and slapping on the aforementioned lotions are the only things that are keeping my skin from just shriveling right up. It's a sad reality, but hey, it means more beauty products for me, so I can get with it. (Also, a quick tip for increased effectiveness: Google photos of Coachella Fashion babes while slathering yourselves in lotions and potions to remind yourselves of warmer, happier times.)

Those pants and that hair! *Photo via refinery29.com
When I say "invest in a humidifier," please take that lightly. My humidifier (okay, technically Vicks Vaporizer) was purchased for about $15 at Kroger, so I would hardly consider that an investment.  However, there are options out there that cost upwards of $200. So, invest big bucks if you must, but just know there are affordable, effective versions available.  For the most part, they all add moisture to your air the same way and help to keep both your skin and sinuses happy.

My Precious via target.com
And although no one likes to be greasy, I've begun to embrace greasy hand lotions and body oils for the sake of my sanity this winter.  At the moment, my Alaffia Handcrafted Shea Butter is saving my hands from becoming their typical dry, cracked selves. However, if you go out and purchase this shea butter, please get the Lavender Mint version.  The unscented version I purchased has such a funky smell, and not in a sexy, herb-y way.

*Photo via vitacost.com
When it comes to winter body care, I use grapeseed oil both before and after I've showered.  This method ensures that the hot water from the shower doesn't parch my skin.  Plus, once the greasiness has subsided, body oils seem to leave my skin softer than any body lotion. Grapeseed oil is only one of the many affordable oil options out there, but if you can splurge, check out Lina Hanson's Global Body Serum.  I've discussed it on here before and it is still an absolute favorite of mine.

*Photo via iherb.com
On my face, things are a little trickier.  My sensitive, combo skin needs a lot of moisture, but unfortunately I've yet to find a heavy moisturizer that doesn't cause breakouts.  So, for this reason, I stick with a hyaluronic acid serum called HyaGlo around the eye area and on really dry patches, then I follow with Cerave's Moisturizing Lotion.  For the most part, I only use lotion around my eye area, but if my face is feeling particularly dry, I will go ahead and apply the Cerave lotion all over my face and neck. It's not ideal, but it at least hasn't caused me to breakout yet.

*Photo via luckyvitamin.com
This is a light version of my winter skincare routine, but I figured if you're suffering from this cold like I am, then you would appreciate all the tips you can get.

Now, when it comes to winter skincare, what is your preferred plan of attack?

2 comments:

  1. I love Vicks! I have a personal humidifier for when I am performing to keep with me backstage, but I'll definitely look into this one for my room!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You definitely should! It's one of the more reasonably priced options and it works pretty well :)

      Delete

Every comment is greatly appreciated. However, I prefer no "follow for follow" comments. If you want me to check out your blog, leave a link and I will visit it! Thanks for reading:)