Apr 30, 2014

Wednesday Roundup: Jogging Beauty

In an attempt to keep myself somewhat in shape for summer, I've taken up jogging again after a long hiatus. This by no means makes me an expert on actual jogging, but I can say that I've learned a thing or two when it comes to pre- and post-workout beauty routines. 

The products and tips below are meant to keep you looking hot when you're feeling hot (like, literally, as in temperature). Keep reading, please!

Here's an example of how good I don't look when I jog. *Photo via popsugar.com.au



Yup, this is probably more my style. *Photo via posh24.com

Tip: Keep your hair up and out of your face.


Though I don't know too many people who workout with their hair down, I would caution those who do. Sometimes the sweat and oils that build up on your scalp travel right down your hair shaft and land on your face and back. This can cause unwanted (and easily prevented) breakouts.

Product: Emi-Jay Hair Ties - $6 for 3

For three ties, this price may seem extreme (and I agree that these particular hair ties have become a little gimmicky), but these ties really don't snag your hair. Plus, Emi-Jay donates a portion of their profits to charity.

*Photo via emi-jay.com
Tip: Wear sunscreen or a hat if you prefer to jog midday.

I myself am a morning jogger, but I know there are many people who prefer to jog in the afternoon. This is totally cool, but just make sure if you're out in direct sunlight that you're using something to protect your pretty face from harsh sun.

Product(s): Sun Bum Face SPF 30+ Face Stick - $10 and/or a baseball cap.

I've sung my Sun Bum praises on here before, but I really, truly love their Face Stick. In fact, it's one of the only sunscreen products I've ever been able to use continuously without irritation or breakouts. It's the perfect size for carrying in your bag and it also smells like bananas. If you're not convinced by sunscreen, though, a baseball cap will provide at least a little protection and, bonus, it will keep your hair away from your face!

*Photo via trustthebum.com
Tip: Cleanse your face before and after jogging (or before/after any other type of workout).

Washing your face prior to a workout may seem silly, but when working out, your sweat, makeup and oil will mingle to create a mixture sure to cause pimples. By washing pre-workout, you ensure that your sweaty makeup won't cause any problems later on. Also, after working out take a few seconds to cleanse your face again for the obvious reason of, duh, sweat. Whether you want to take the time to do a full cleanse or you just want to wipe off with a facial towelette, anything is better than nothing.

Product(s): One Love Organics Easy Does It Foaming Cleanser - $29 for 8.8 oz.; Dickinson's Witch Hazel Oil Controlling Towelettes - $5 for 20


If you're one of those who's going to do a full cleanse, use a gentle foaming formula like Easy Does It by One Love Organics. The goal here is to remove sweat and oil, not to completely strip your skin.


If you prefer the quick wipe down approach, you already know I've got some serious love for Dickinson's Oil Controlling Towelettes. Their ingredient list is minimal and they combine witch hazel with aloe for a skin-calming effect. Also, at $5 for 20, these are easily the most affordable product on my jogging list.



Tip: Hydrate, hydrate, hydrate!

Drinking water before, during and after your workout should be a no-brainer, but I really want to push this tip because hydration plays such a huge role in your skin's appearance. I dare you to skip one day of drinking water and I guarantee your skin will look dull and your fine lines will be much more prominent. Drinking water, even when you're not working out, is one way to guarantee that your skin looks its best.

Product(s): bkr bottle - $13

Though I am still using a plastic water bottle myself, I am a huge fan of glass water bottles. I think they're much safer (less risk of nasty chemicals like BPA) and pretty darn stylish as well. These bkr bottles, in particular, are gorgeous and come in a multitude of different colors. They might even make a decent graduation gift (hey, mom and dad!).

*Photo via freshfaced.ca
Now that I've shared all of my best jogging beauty tips, I'd love to hear yours! Please share in the comments. Also, if you're not feeling jogging, there's always this creepy workout alternative...


No comments:

Post a Comment

Every comment is greatly appreciated. However, I prefer no "follow for follow" comments. If you want me to check out your blog, leave a link and I will visit it! Thanks for reading:)